We know that we'll never be finished with our sustainability efforts. That's because we're continually developing ways to reduce our carbon footprint, minimize our use of materials, and maximize our recycling activities across all areas of our business. We also know that sustainability efforts have to be real, preferably measurable, improvements—not just words on a page.
Here are just a few examples of what we've been able to accomplish recently:
- Water use in all of our plants has been optimized by recycling water throughout the facilities.
- Overall energy consumption at our Albany plant was significantly reduced after the implementation of a refrigeration management control system that operates on a needs basis rather than timed cycles.
- New paperless workflow solutions within our accounts payable and human resources offices have significantly reduced paper use.
In addition to our commitment to environmental sustainability, we're also heavily invested in sustainable agricultural practices. Examples of our sustainable agricultural practices include:
- Working with our growers to advance sustainable practices and encourage responsible land stewardship.
- Ensuring that all organic matter from the field and facility is either returned to the soil or utilized for animal feed.
- Advancing farming programs by supplying our contracted growers with seed that has not been genetically modified.
- Optimizing the performance of our fleet vehicles; for example, our new pea viner fleet offers the same fuel efficiency but nearly twice the capacity.